What Exactly is the EEOICPA and Can You Benefit From It?

EEIOCPAThe EEOICPA or Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act of 2000, or simply ‘The Act’, offers medical benefits and compensation to employees, or their surviving families, for related illnesses due to being exposed to radiation and other hazardous substances while working under the Department of Energy, as well as its contractors and facilities of subcontractors. 

While the whole Act is extremely long and complex, one of the most crucial parts of the Act for eligible individuals is Part B.

What Exactly is Part B of The EEOICPA?

Part B is the particular section of the EEOICPA that offers compensation amounting to $150,000, as well as healthcare benefits to employees or their surviving families for specific illnesses that they’ve developed as a result of radiation, silicosis, and beryllium exposure while working for the DOE and its contractors.

This section offers benefits to all qualified past and current workers and their particular survivors. In order to qualify for the program, the employee must be afflicted with cancer, chronic beryllium disease, beryllium sensitivity, or chronic silicosis. They must also have worked at or are currently working in an enclosed DOE facility, a vendor’s beryllium facility, or an employer’s atomic weapons facility in a certain period of time.

In the event that the qualified employee has passed away, available compensation could be given to their qualified survivors. Likewise, A $50,000 compensation package plus payment for all related healthcare expenses starting from the specific date of filing a claim could be made to uranium employees, or their eligible surviving family, under the DOJ’s Section 5 RECA or Radiation Exposure Compensation Program.

READ  Easy Suggestions for Choosing a Dentist

In addition, nuclearcarepartners.com further states, employees, subcontractors, and contractors of DOE who are afflicted with beryllium sensitivity because of their jobs will get proper and regular monitoring to see if they develop chronic beryllium disease.

Can Anyone File a Part B Claim?

Only the employee or his or her survivors, considering that they’re eligible, can file a Part B claim with the DOL or Department of Labor. They must complete and submit the proper forms to the DOL so that the DOL can evaluate the claim’s eligibility. The DOL will then pass on approved claims to the NIOSH or the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.