Following an injury or illness, the patient’s movement can largely be affected. Physiotherapy treatment seeks to restore the normal functional movement. Besides, it can be used to treat conditions such as back pain, sports injuries, whiplash disorders and respiratory problems like asthma. This profession takes a holistic approach and is devoted to a healthy lifestyle and quality life. With physiotherapy, you can receive a wide range of preventative and rehabilitative treatment.
Other than to restore functional movement, Life Ready Physio says that physiotherapy is also used to prevent injury. Physiotherapists in Perth focus on the body as a whole as opposed to the specific area of injury or illness. The holistic approaches involve:
- Education. Physiotherapy can offer necessary advice on lifestyle issues that affect your everyday life. Such advice may include posture, lifting techniques and exercises that can prevent injuries. Advice on physical activity and movement exercises can also be recommended to improve mobility and general health. On the other hand, such exercises can strengthen individual body part thereby preventing injuries.
- Manual therapy. Physiotherapists may also use their hands when administering physiotherapy treatment. The manual therapy aims at relieving pain and stiffness as well as improve body movement. Other than hands, other techniques can be used to alleviate pain or improve movement. These techniques are such as acupuncture and ultrasound.
Physio ultimate goal
Generally, physiotherapy seeks to achieve the following:
- Desired mobility, physical function and overall health
- Protection from disease and injury
- Management of acute and chronic conditions
- Promoting the desired functional independence and performance
- Injury and disease rehabilitation through therapeutic programmes
- Educating the patient to prevent re-occurrence of the injury in the future or functional decline
Injuries or diseases can adversely affect your functional movement. Physiotherapy, on the other hand, tries to restore such movement. In fact, physio might be all you need to bring your physical performance back to normal.