You may not realize it, but the things going on while you’re sleeping can cause damage to your hair. Tossing and turning, for instance, may pull your tresses and contribute to breakage unintentionally. If you want better hair, it’s best to make sure that it’s protected while you’re dozing off. This means adopting a few hair care practices at night like the following:
1. Don’t tie your hair. Tying puts too much stress in the hair shaft and roots, causing damage and breakage. Sleep with your hair let down or go with a low or loose ponytail. If you need to tie your hair, use soft scrunchies instead of elastic bands or metal hair ties.
2. Brush your hair and detangle. You don’t need 100 strokes, but don’t go to bed with lots of tangles in your hair. Brush from root to tip, as this will help move the scalp’s natural oil through your locks. Red Stella Salon and other hair salons in Austin suggest using a wide-tooth comb or a brush with natural bristles.
3. Let it dry before bed. Your hair is at its weakest point when wet. This only means that sleeping on wet hair makes it more prone to breakage. While doing so won’t damage the follicles immediately, it makes your hair more pliable. Make sure that your hair is completely dry before you hit the hay.
4. Change your pillowcase. A satin or a silk pillow cover is best for your hair. If you don’t have enough money for a new pillow cover, you can wrap it using a silk or a satin scarf. This will also keep your tresses back without needing to tie it with an elastic band.
5. Apply a treatment. An overnight treatment is ideal if you have dry or damaged hair. You can apply Moroccan oil on the ends of your (dry) hair and wrap it using a gentle fabric like silk. Then you can shampoo and wash your hair in the morning.
Taking care of your hair involves more than shampooing, conditioning, and applying a heat protectant. It is also important to mind your hair care habits before bed or while sleeping. You should also consult your hair stylist for other tips in maintaining healthier and stronger hair.